Hands-on Data Protection Officer Training (Singapore)
Enabling New Competencies for the Data Protection Officer & Complying with the Personal Data Protection Act
With the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) now in effect in Singapore, organisations that manage personal data have to ensure full compliance with the law, or face financial consequences. This calls for a new position in organisations that manage personal data – that of the Data Protection Officer.
This 3-day Hands-on Data Protection Officer Training Programme equips professionals, managers and executives (PMEs) in Singapore with new competencies using a practical approach and borrowing from best practices, showing them how to implement, comply and to stay compliant with the PDPA. It is meant to complement the courses offered by PDPC and:
- Offers a hands-on approach conducted by practitioners who are doing PDPA Audits in organisations.
- Includes Straits Interactive’s Data Protection Management System for DPOs.
- Includes customisable policy templates and privacy/personal data protection notices.
Trainees will be tasked to complete a project based on their own organisational context as part of the programme’s assessment. This will be useful for the attending DPOs to assess their organisations’ current levels of compliance with the PDPA and take the necessary actions to address the relevant gaps and risks. By the time they complete the course, the DPOs would have started their compliance efforts for their respective companies and would have sufficient hands-on experience to continue and complete the project they had started.
The programme lays the practical foundation and competencies necessary for a career in the new era of compliance in personal data protection. Local workers will gain a valuable and niche skill set to increase their mobility and value-add to their companies.
We don’t just train you – we show you how to be compliant, complete with your own Compliance Manual, Audit & all the Tools you need!
…. all done by the time you complete the course!
…. with roadmap to International Certification
- Data protection responsibilities
• Step-by-step plan for Data Protection Officers to start PDPA compliance IMMEDIATELY
• Manage compliance using the online Data Protection Management System
• Customise your own Personal Data Protection & Information Security Policy
• Guidance & best practices from experienced PDPA practitioners
Personal Data Protection Principles & A Practical Approach to the Personal Data Protection Act – A Singapore Perspective
Project 1: Identify the potential breaches in your current organisation
Roles & Responsibilities of the Data Protection Officer & Conducting a Personal Data Inventory Audit
Project 2: Conduct a Risk Assessment Audit at your own Organisation to determine gaps and risks
Information Security: Policy, Templates & Tools
Project 3: Deploy & document implementation of tools such as Notices to address information security gaps in your own organisation
Implementing Personal Data Protection Policies & Initiatives
Assessment and Final Project Presentation on effective Privacy / Personal Data Protection programme management
- Lecture style
- Video clips
- Discussions with consultants
- Role play / presentations
The course will be conducted or facilitated by any one of the following trainers and consultants who are Certified Information Privacy Managers (CIPM), awarded by professional members of the International Association of Privacy Professionals. The CIPM is the world’s first and only certification in personal data protection programme management. Our trainers have been actively engaged in doing actual PDPA audits of Singaporean companies for Straits Interactive. Together, the team has also trained thousands of participants in the Personal Data Protection Act.
3 full days, over a period of 3 weeks
All participants will receive a DPO Certificate of Proficiency jointly awarded by Straits Interactive and Singapore Management University Academy upon successful completion of competency assessment and project work.
DPO Certificate of Proficiency will be jointly awarded by SMU Academy
(for VWOs only)
Please note that this course has been merged with the October 2017 class (below)
Day 1: 13 Oct 2017
Day 2: 20 Oct 2017
Day 3: 27 Oct 2017
Day 1: 01 December 2017
Day 2: 08 December 2017
Day 3: 15 December 2017
- Organisations that need to train their Data Protection Officers
- Organisations setting up their PDPA compliance processes & systems
- Newly appointed Data Protection Officers unsure of their role
- Personnel handling personal data such as HR, Sales & Marketing, Compliance, Finance, Internal Auditors, IT
The course includes everything you need:
- Data Protection Management System (12-month license for 1 user)
- 1 hour legal advice with senior data protection lawyer (not applicable for Hands-on DPO course for VWO & Charities)
- 1 copy of “88 Privacy Breaches To Beware Of”
- Personal Data Protection / Information Security Policies
- Shred-It Disposal Trial Service
- PDPA related notices / templates
- PDPA Compliance Manual
- DPO Competency Certificate of Completion awarded by SMU Academy
For Corporate-sponsored applicants, this course is supported by CITREP+ which provides:
- Up to 70% of the nett payable course and certification fees, capped at $2,500 per trainee for non-SMEs
- Up to 90% of the nett payable course and certification fees, capped at $2,500 per trainee for SMEs
- Up to 90% of the nett payable course and certification fees, capped at $2,500 per trainee for professionals above 40 years old
Please note that CITREP+ funding is available only to Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents subject to all funding eligibility criteria being met.
MR code: CITREP+/FY17/MR/17-06/706
For more information on CITREP+ funding and the definition of SME and non-SME, please visit www.imda.gov.sg for details.
Capability Development Grant: Companies can now tap on SPRING Singapore’s Capability Development Grant (CDG) to defray (up to 70 percent of) qualifying project costs for our end-to-end PDPA solutions. Click here for more information about CDG funding.
Productivity & Innovation Credit (PIC) Scheme: Eligible organisations may apply for PIC funding. Click here for more information.
Contact us to enquire about conducting in-house training for your organisation.
What our participants think of this course
“I am much more confident to take up the role of a DPO after going through the training. The trainers are knowledgeable and very open to share practical experiences with us. In addition, the DPMS system makes our work much easier. All newly appointed DPOs who have headaches should attend this course.”